Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Make-Shift Mother

Author's Note: We were assigned to choose one character from the novel, To Kill A Mockingbird and write a creative piece from that character's point of view. I wrote about what Calpurnia, the maid, thought about the series of events taking place after Tom Robinson's court case, and what she thought of Scout and Jem.


No series of unfortunate events ain't gonna stop me from caring for these wonerful folks. I came here years ago feelin' bad for Atticus's loss, not knowing his gal personally but hearing stories and rumors about her fine skin and nice personality. I knew I's only apposed to cook and clean, but after seein' the depression in this family I knew it was my time to step up and play the mother role in these kids lives. Jem didn't need me much, seein' as how he's growin' to be a fine man like his Daddy, but Scout..oh that child needed me more than ever. Not only does she refuse to wear dresses, but Ol' Alexandra want her to join all them ladies at the gossip table! Scout wont know what's comin. Hopefully by the time Alexandra say she don't need me round here no more, Ill have left enough impact for lil Scout to be a fit young lady. Yes, I said it. There will someday be a time when Alexandra offically replaces me. Now don't go worryin' about me, Ill be ready. I'm getting old anyway. Black women don't show it, but the ladies down yonder near Dolphis Raymond, they in they deep 50's when they look fit to be 25.

Now two different mysteries have been solved in the past busy week. Number One, Boo Radley's real as the sun shinin' down in the evening. After hearin' them children's stories about his whereabouts for the past few years "Boo Radley's a mad murderer!" "Boo Radley sewed up Jem's pants, Calpurnia!" "Boo Radley ain't left that house for 30 years!" I finally got to see the nice fellow. Saved Jem's life, he did.

The other mystery solved is what Mr. Ewell's been plannin. We knew after the court case that he wouldn't let Atticus out of his reach for long, but none of us knew he would tryin' kill his chillun! After he brought out that knife, any folk in all of Maycomb would've done the same as Mr. Radley. Now he's dead an no longer a problem. Jem's still sleepin his life away, but I suppose he would've done that anyway. And Scout's been trying to contact Dill. Those three chillun are my reason for bein' here. Without them I would be trapped up in my church day and night. Although I am thankful, I must keep 'em in my sight for as long as I can. I'm gonna make sure they grow up to be big and strong, and never forget they make-shift mother, me, Ol' Calpurnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment