Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Pleasant Way to Die

Author's Note: Here is my abstract piece that was written after I wrote my essay "A Pleasant Way to Die".


In my recently written essay, "A Pleasant Way to Die", I prove that the narrators husband was setting the narrator -- his wife -- up for death by insanity. In the short story, he took her to a house she openly admitted she was afraid of and was never home to comfort her. The husband is a physician. With knowledge of the body, he locks his wife up and confines her to her bed. She refers to "bars" surrounding the walls. These bars symbolize the jail cell she feels like the house is, having no freedom to leave under her husbands close watch. Most readers would think that he is doing this to cure the illness she claims to have, but she clearly states "He does not believe I am sick!" Why does he pretend to be concerned for her well-being? Why does he feed her strange tonics and assign her strange activities? Why could he possibly enjoy torturing his own wife?


My last piece of proof regarding this man's deliberate killing of his wife takes place in the final scene. The husband fainted when he saw his wife creeping along her wall in pure insanity. The reader writes the scene to make us believe he was taken by sadness regarding the small portion of his wife's life that is left. Unfortunately, the cruelest part of this short story is that he does not faint from sadness, he faints because his experiment to turn his wife insane has succeeded. He was so overcome with excitement, he couldn't even stand.

1 comment:

  1. That was amazing! It really sounded like you wrote an essay and the reader (me!) could really understand your voice when reading this. The only thing I would suggest would be to proofread, because there were two places where I think you were missing a word, but overall good job!

    ReplyDelete